Exposure assessment is how DPR identifies and assesses potential pesticide exposure to human populations. The Human Health Assessment Branch estimates exposures for individuals who come in contact with pesticides through direct handling of products, those entering treated areas, and bystanders or individuals who may come in contact through ambient air, surface water, or other sources including dietary exposures from pesticides in food and drinking water. DPR scientists review product labels and evaluate handling and crop cultivation practices, assessing occupational, residential, industrial, and institutional scenarios.
Exposure and Risk Assessment Publications
- Publication on monitoring and evaluating pesticide exposure, PDF (51 kb)
- Policies and procedures (Memoranda outlining DPR approaches to exposure assessment)
- Risk characterization documents (Risk assessments are prepared in the form of risk characterization documents)
- Worker Health and Safety Branch posters
- California Laws and Regulations (frequently utilized in exposure assessments)
- 3 CCR Section 6400 - restricted materials
- 3 CCR Sections 6736 - 6746 - coveralls, personal protective equipment, respiratory protection, closed systems, etc.
- 3 CCR Sections 6760 - 6778 - fieldworker safety
- 3 CCR Sections 6780 - 6784 - fumigation safe-use requirements, fumigation of enclosed spaces, field fumigation
- 3 CCR Sections 6790 - 6792 - minimum use pesticides
- Human subjects protocol review, PDF (96 kb)
- Product/label database queries & lists
- Pesticide Chemical Search
- Pesticide use reporting
- U.S. EPA pesticide reregistration eligibility decisions (REDs)
- U.S. EPA Worker Protection Standard
- TOXNET - databases covering toxicology, hazardous chemicals, environmental health and related areas, managed by the U.S. National Library of Medicine.
- EXTOXNET - pesticide information profiles archived at Oregon State University.
- Product labels and MSDS database (maintained by Crop Data Management Systems, Inc.)
For content questions, contact:
Eric S. C. Kwok, Ph.D., D.A.B.T.
1011 I Street, P.O. Box 4015
Sacramento, CA 95812-4015
Phone: (916) 324-7842