Worker Protection Program
Worker Protection Program staff evaluates the implementation of the state worker safety regulations and provides input on changes to the federal Worker Protection Standard. Research includes looking at trends in the pesticide illness surveillance database, enforcement database, compliance assessment studies, and data from field surveys and exposure monitoring studies. This program is also responsible for developing outreach materials such as the Pesticide Safety Information Series leaflets. Staff develop and administer worker outreach and other projects as part of the Pesticide Consolidated Cooperative Agreement with U.S. EPA.
As of January 2, 2017, California regulations have been updated to be consistent with the new federal Worker Protection Standard (WPS).
2017 Worker Safety Regulation Changes and Training Resources – Overview of regulatory changes, amended regulatory text, training materials, and train-the-trainer program information.
Worker Safety Outreach and Education Resources
- Pesticide Safety Information Series (PSIS) -
leaflets explaining the worker safety regulations and other safety information to workers.
- UC IPM Training and Safety Resources-provides safety education models and resources.
- U.S. EPA - Information on worker safety
Resources for Worker Protection Regulations
- California Code of Regulations - Title 3, Division 6. Pesticides and Pest Control Operations. The California Code of Regulations must be followed to be in compliance with the WPS.
- U.S. EPA Worker Protection Standard - text of the revised federal regulations. The WPS sets the minimum worker protection regulations for state compliance.
- U.S. EPA Worker Protection Standard publications - U.S. EPA publications that explain many aspects of the WPS in detail.
- How to comply with the U.S. EPA Worker Protection Standards - provides guidance to employers on how to comply.
For content questions, contact:
1001 I Street, P.O. Box 4015
Sacramento, CA 95812-4015
Phone: (916) 323-7614